Tuesday, July 28, 2009

CHIC '09 - UNDONE

Another huge event of my Summer was CHIC. For those of you who are unfamiliar with this event it is a tri-annual event that our Denomination puts on for high school students. I went to CHIC ’97 at CSU in Ft. Collins, Ben went to CHIC ’00 at UT in Knoxville, and this year Sophie went as a student to CHIC ’09 at UT in Knoxville. In planning this event the break up all the areas of responsibility and planning to a team of people and then those people recruit teams to help them. So 2 years ago I signed on with some of my best friends to work on this event. We met for the first time in December of ’07 and have been talking monthly since then and working hard to get ready for this large event.

The week was amazing, honestly and truly amazing to see how everything came together. I love the moment when we were all in the arena with all 5,500 people for the first time. It’s like there was finally flesh on the bones of all that we had been planning for the past 2 years.

In the morning I was in charge of basecamp experience and then after lunch I would switch to helping produce the bands that played at the blockparty that happened every afternoon. It was a challenging week and many different sides of my were used and challenged and pulled. I didn’t sleep very well and was often really hot. But I would do it all again next week if I had to. Why? Well because I absolutely loved everyone that I worked with and it was amazing to see how students connected with each other, with their leaders, and with God throughout the week. That makes it more than worth it!

My Mainstage i-team in the arena the last night
My basecamp i-team in the UT arena March of '08 on a planning trip to TN
Lots of planning, and talking, and walking, and dreaming, and visioning

Glimpses from the week...

First night - Mainstage and the rain curtain

Mainstage night 2 - David Crowder Band

Group1Crew rockin it at the HUB sidestage

Basecamp experience - "My relationship with God"
Students answers to "God is..." on an easel
Salvador drawing in a crowd at the HUB
A little rain at the HUB...only a 20 min delay, good work team!
Mainstage the last night, confetti and all
HUB crew, runners, DJ Promote and Propaganda...love these people

1 comment:

Jean Wysocki said...

WOW! What a blogging day you had yesterday! Great job summing up the last 3 months - thank you!
Love you!