Tuesday, August 19, 2008

My favorite things...

Usually my blogs involve lots of pictures because sometimes I don't know how else to describe what has been going on other than to show you. Unfortunately this summer has been different for me because I haven't been "going" as much as I've been staying put and "doing". Doing the hard work of learning greek (which is over!) instead of taking a bunch of trips was not my first choice for the summer but ended up to be just fine. So in complete Oprah style I decided to share what I would call my Summer Favs, also known as the things that got me through greek!...

Music...
"Take a bow" - Rihanna
" Trying to stop your leaving" - Dierks Bentley
"Love Song" - Sara Bareilles
"Free Fallin' (live)" - John Mayer
"With You" - Chris Brown
"Come on get Higher" - Matt Nathanson

Viva la Vida (album) - Coldplay
Med sud i eyrum vid spilum endalaust (album) - Sigur Ros
Till the sun turns Black (album) - Ray LaMontagne
19 (album) - Adele
Memory Man (album) - Aqualung

Books...
While I did read my fair share of novels these were my favorite
"A Thousand Splendid Suns" - by Khaled Hosseini
"So Brave, Young, and Handsome" - by Leif Enger
"The Glass Castle" - Jeannette Walls

Recipe...
This is one that my mom found and it has been a refreshing a simple salad / salsa to have around and snack on

Black bean & Corn Salad
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
1 can black beans, rinsed & drained
2 large tomatoes, finely chopped
1 red onion, chopped
1/4 cup minced cilantro
2 garlic gloves, minced

** combine and mix with dressing 

2 T. sugar
2 T. white vinegar
2 T. canola oil (or I use olive oil)
1 1/2 t. lime juice
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. ground cumin
1/4 t. pepper

** refrigerate for at least an hour before serving. Serve with chips, enjoy!

TV...
 The "O.C." (such a guilty pleasure but only a few more discs to go)
re-watching "Gray's Anatomy"
THE OLYMPICS







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your new blog look! It's good to see that, with Greek behind you, you have the mental energy to be creative and blog again!
Thanks for the credit on the recipe. I haven't made it in a while, so you've inspired me to make it again!
Love ya, Mom

misa_rae said...

I'm glad you liked The Glass Castle...I kept having to remind myself as I was reading that this was actually her life. I also loved that she didn't seem bitter at all...just took it for what it was.